Saturday, August 9, 2014

America Is....A Trip to NYC

 Hello All! I hope everyone is enjoying every remaining second of this summer!
 I took my kids back to my old stomping grounds in New York City last week. We had a blast wandering the city and taking in all the sights and sounds. 

We went to the World Trade Center Memorial. They have created a touching tribute to the men and women who lost their lives in that tragedy.  There are now waterfalls outlining the perimeter of both buildings. The water then collects and falls through an inside square area. Names are engraved all along the walls of the structures. Just beautiful but also so sad!


We saw the Statue of Liberty.  She is such a powerful presence standing there in the harbor. I remember my mom talking about seeing her for the first time as she came by boat as an immigrant so many years ago. We are so lucky to be living in this country. 


We hung out at the South Street Seaport and checked out the ships, boats and shops. Definitely one of my favorite places in the city.

The Manhattan Sailing School....


We strolled down Wall Street and past the New York Stock Exchange.


We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge with about a hundred other people. Boy was it crowded!



Of course we headed to Rockefeller Plaza.  

 Such a pretty spot with the fountains and the greenery! 

.
We went into Trinity Church while we were there. My dad owned an Iron Works Company in Manhattan and was hired to do all the ornamental iron for this church  back in the 1960's.  It was great getting a chance to visit the church and see all he his work. He may not be around any longer but he has left his mark. 

It was fun checking out the NBC Studios and places like the Trump Tower. 


A highlight of the trip was seeing Wicked at the Gershwin. What a fantastic show! The acting, music, costumes and special effects were all amazing.  We had a great time!!


The most peaceful place in the city for me has always been Central Park.  I just love the statues that greet you when you enter. How beautiful!



I wish I could bottle all the energy of that city! There really is no place like New York. 








My trip reminded me of this really great book I found recently.  
It is called, America Is...  by author, Louise Borden.  


Through poetic text, Louise Borden highlights the wonders of our incredible country. 
Each page begins with the two words: "America is..." 
Through reading this book, children will get a sense of how diverse America's land and people are. 
Borden wrote this book as a response to a question posed to her by a group of school children in Birmingham, England.  They asked, "What's it like to live in America?"  This book was her answer. 
I plan on using it with my third graders this year. Check it out, I think you and your students will love it!